Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Thrill of Victory/The Agony of De Feet!

   The day has come I never thought would happen!
   Maybe it's a "guy thing." I don't know.
   I can only tell you that I've always been reluctant
to give up on a pair of socks!
   Comfortable socks can be like a dependable
blanket that gives you a confident and secure
feeling. On your feet anyway.
    For that reason I have, on occasion, tried to
save a pair threatened by the sudden development
of a small tear or hole by single handily threading
a needle and  attempting to repair the damaged
spot. Those salvage operations always made me feel
victorious!
    But my wife has always frowned on such heroic
attempts.
    I was never quite sure if her objections were
based on my unique stitch, the fact that I sometimes
used a color thread which differed from the
color of the sock (hey the sock is under a shoe or
sneaker anyway) or whether she was just jealous
of my initiative.
    She always insisted it was cheap enough to buy
a new pair.
    In fact often when my socks began to show what
I considered to be a mild sign of wear, they would
disappear before I ever got a chance to preform
emergency surgery.
    Just as suddenly a bright new pair would appear
in my drawer!
    For some time I was under the assumption that
the Shoemaker's elves had a subsidiary division
that worked solely with socks.
    Anyhow, yesterday morning I noticed not one
but two holes developing in a pair of my white
socks.
    I thought for a moment or two about invading
my wife's sewing room on a search for a thread
that might come close to a match. But this time,
for whatever reason, the ambition just wasn't
there.
    So this time I threw in the towell...or in this
case the socks!
    I waived them briefly as a sort of white flag
and tossed them into the waste can!
    I guess it happens to all of us sooner or later!
    Perhaps the "Sock Elves" will take notice and
bring a replacement pair!
    Remember, "No Shoes, No Socks, No Service!"
    Hope all your NEWS is good!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment