Sunday, July 21, 2013

Watch The Tramcar Please!

    BLOG FOR MONDAY, JULY 22nd    


     We watch for three separate and distinct signs
that verify we're in Wildwood every summer!
      The first is the sent of salt in the air. Next, an
airplane towing a banner of some sort. Finally
there's the sound of an announcement recorded
Lord knows how many years ago...."Watch the
Tramcar please!"
      The Tramcar is an electric powered "train"
that carries people back and forth on the
Boardwalk. It's recorded warning, activated like
the horn on a car, is an attempt to get people
out of the way so the "people mover" can keep
moving!
     Yesterday I took my morning walk to the
Boardwalk. I had no worries about watching
the Tramcar because it doesn't run until later
in the day.
     I am thinking, however, that's its caution
might somehow be transplanted onto the
million or some bicycles that compete with
joggers and walkers, like me, for a little bit
of Boardwalk space!
    The two, three, and now four wheelers
heading at you at least give you a chance.
You can see them!
     It's the ones going in the same direction
that are most frightening! They're faster. And
for some reason I don't quite understand,
you seem to become invisible when you're
just ahead.
     The problem may stem from the fact
that most of the riders are either kids who
have no idea they're sharing the place, or
adults who haven't been on a bicycle for
years and are more concerned with balance
that looking at the road, and people, ahead!
      It's a great challenge though!
     I not only get exercise from the walk. I
get some lateral movements as I attempt to
dodge the Schwinns!
     Tonight I plan to hit the Boardwalk to
get some practice in! I'll walk along the
Tramcar patch and  try listening as it
approaches and before it can sound its
warning. Then, tomorrow, I'll be ready
to take on those bikes!
     Hope you look both ways before
crossing and that all your NEWS is good!



























No comments:

Post a Comment