Sunday, February 24, 2013

Do Not Pass GO!


   A drive through the country took us to
Tunkhannock yesterday.
   My wife and daughter suggested a brief
stop at a Thrift Shop just ouside of town.
The term "brief," of course, is releative!
   This particular shop is unique. It has
a strange assortment of goods and you
can be pretty sure you'll find something
to attract your attention if not your
money!
    It's one of the only places I've ever
seen that has a couple thousand old dvd's
arranged in alphabetical order. And most
are selling for about 5 dollars.
   The books are set out that way too.
   But is was a small collection of used
board games that attracted my attention.
One in particular.
    They were set out on top of a shelf
which a lot of customers could easily
pass by. There, in the midst of several
Monopoly games, I spotted a board
with names I remembered from my
youth!
   It turned out to be a customized
version of Monopoly apparently
designed specifically for people in and
around Hazleton!
    Local business places were
substituted for the likes of Park Place
and the Boardwalk. Several of the
actual establishments have gone out of
business since this game was unveiled.
I suppose I shouldn't buy those spaces
should I ever end up playing the game!
   I don't play a lot of board games. But
the connection to my old home town,and
the price tag,convinced me I had to
have it at least as a conversation piece!
    So, while I did not pass "GO", I
shelled out the entire two dollars in cash
and bought the game!
    My purchase complete I went back
to my car and listened to the radio until
the remainder of my entourage completed
its "brief".......  hour and a half long stop!
    Here's hoping you don't go directly to
Jail and that all your NEWS is good.








































    

No comments:

Post a Comment