Wednesday, June 18, 2014

OLD FRIENDS


  8 of us, 4 couples, met up at a quaint resort on the
shore of Lake Seneca for a couple days relaxation.
  Two of the couples have only know each other about
two years. Two of us, individually, have been friends
since first grade.
  And yet, we are all old friends!
  Our shared experiences make it seem as though we
have all known each other forever.
  And, judging from our casual conversations around
the pool yesterday afternoon, the term "old" seems
very fitting, although our ages differ by as much as 10
years.
   Listening intently I detected mention of at least 5
"bad" knees, two irregular heart beats, one case of
Parkinson's disease, and descriptions, several perhaps
a bit too descriptive, of various operations members of
our group or close family have undergone in the recent
past.
    That information was followed closely by details
of pending appointments designed to address the aforesaid
or foreseeable conditions in the weeks ahead.
     I, being next to the oldest, personally contribute to
the mortgage, car and. or boat payments for at least five
physicians and one dentist.
     My close friend, and my senior by some 6 months,
enjoyed relating details of a recent operation which he,
under local anesthesia, wished to watch as he underwent
the procedure.
     I attribute this bizarre desire to a Freudian attempt at
revenge for his mother's refusal to allow him to join me
watching Frankenstein movies during our youth.
     Momentarily I though myself to be in the parlor of
a rest home somewhere, awaiting my, or my neighbor's next
seizure.
     Yet, just minutes later, four of my colleagues were
engaged in a rather vigorous game of shuffleboard, two
more portrayed "Minnesota fats" round a nearby pool table,
while the seventh was busy wearing me out both hitting
or retrieving a ping pong ball!
     since my left knee was one of the five mentioned earlier
I may have been the first to give out, opting for dinner and,
later, a restful evening round  a blazing campfire.
     Although a head count is yet to be taken as I write, it
look like all eight of us survived the night.
    I expect further medical briefings will be offered as
the day progresses.
     Hope you're feeling well, and that all your news is good!  
 

  



No comments:

Post a Comment