Monday, May 11, 2015

All Washed Up!

      TUESDAY, MAY 12TH

         ALL WASHED UP!
   This is not, as the title implies, a
narration concerning my career.
    It is the story of our latest
family adventure.
    I will admit it may not compare
with Hawaii or even our recent
drive to the Grand Canyon of
Pennsylvania.
    Yesterday my wife had me take
her to the Laundromat!
     Just so we're completely clear
on this we have had a washing
machine right in our house all
the while we're lived there.
     I think we bought it right after
my wife frowned when we talked
about the weekly wash and I told
her there was a creek nearby.
     But, yesterday, we had a special
need she didn't think our machine
could handle. It was a heavy bed
spread she was packing up after the
long winter. She wanted it washed
first.
      Suds and Bubbles is a
Laundromat that was built right in
our development about a year or
so ago and we thought we'd give it
a try.
       There are rows of washers and
dryers in the place. Individually
they're larger, but similar to the
machine at home. The big difference
is.....you've got to put money in these
to make them work!
       And they only take quarters!
       My wife carefully filled a small
container with the 25 cent pieces so
they'd be easy to insert in the machine
until she reached the $4 required
deposit. I helped by picking up one
or two that she managed to drop
anyway. One seemed to have
disappeared.
       The "lost quarter" was found
wedged in the door of the washer
after the cycle was complete.
       That proved to be a good thing
as another quarter was needed to
operate the dryer. Of course additional
quarters were required to get the
spread completely dry.
       As I sat there waiting I had this
vision of my old home in Hazleton.
       We had this thing out in the
backyard. Basically a long rope
stretched from one pole to another.
       You could hang wet laundry
over it and let it dry in the sunshine.
And you didn't need any quarters.
       Now I'm wondering if there's
still water in that nearby creek?
Think of all the money we could
save!
       Hope that bed spread is dry by
now and that all your NEWS is good!




No comments:

Post a Comment