Sunday, May 3, 2015

Critters


        MONDAY, MAY 4TH

              CRITTERS
    See any critters around you?
    We took a spin in the Miata Sunday.
    Somewhere along the way I caught a
glimpse of a Squirrel darting across the
road and into the woods.
    Funny how a little thing like that
brought back some memories of our
recent visit to Hawaii.
    You don't see Squirrels there.
     Nor "Deer Crossing" signs.
     There are warnings about animals
that can dart into your path. But in
Hawaii they have goats! There are wild
goats all over the place. We had a few
invade one of our picnic spots one
sunny day. I refused to share my
sandwich!
      Instead of Squirrels, in
Hawaii you'll find the Mongoose!
      You don't feed peanuts to those
characters! In fact you're way better
off not getting to near them at all!
      You may have seen pictures from
India where the Mongoose takes on
the King Cobra! And the Mongoose
wins!
      The Mongoose was actually
imported to the islands in the hope
they would eliminate the rats that
sailed across the sea with early
explorers and found a home in what
is now our 50th state.
      Unfortunately whoever came up
with the idea failed to consider the
fact the Mongoose roams freely
during the day white the rats are
nocturnal. Apparently the two
species never get to meet each
other.
      Lest you think the place is
filled with nothing but rare and
exotic critters, I can assure you that,
just like home, there are cats all over
the place! I was beginning to think
they followed me there, But I am
assured that, just like back home,
that little kitten someone felt
compelled to feed sometime back
has evolved into herds of Feral cats.
     I wonder how the Mongoose
feels about cats? And......should I
have brought one home?
     Maybe I'll try a stuffed one in
our yard!
     Hope it works and that all your
NEWS is good!















No comments:

Post a Comment