Friday, November 8, 2013

Back In The Saddle Again!


    I don't want to live in the past. But, it's
a nice place to visit!
    The bulk of my 50 plus years in broadcasting
has been spent in television. But in the
beginning, though after Adam and Eve, I spent
many On Air hours in Radio.
    In many ways I actually preferred radio!
After paying my dues as an errand boy and a
janitor I got to be a DJ! I got the chance to play
music and do a lot of weird things. So I did!
    Once, in an effort to determine how many
people were really listening, I locked the
control room door (with a chair that is) and
played the song "Summertime Blues" over and
over. My siege lasted for about a half hour till
the Chief Engineer was able to break in. But
you should have heard those phones ringing off
the hook!
    I was at that same station one day when a
Parade got started. I ran an extra length of
microphone cable down the hall and did a "play
by play" description of the marchers, bands, and
floats from my vantage point at the upstairs front
window of our building. Too bad the Sales staff
hadn't come up with the idea. We could have
sold commercials and made a couple of bucks!
    Radio, for me, was always like a cross between
TV and a good book. The announcer's voice could
take you places and your imagination could create
the pictures!
    I got a chance to return to the microphone earlier
this week as Christian Radio Station WRGN
conducted its annual Share-A-Thon fund raising
campaign. Of course I wasn't allowed to play any
music and had to promise to use my chair only for
sitting!!
    Too bad! I had a couple of ideas that really could
have had listeners praying!!!!!!! Guess I'll just have
to be satisfied with an occasional call to a Talk Show!
    Hope you're all tuned in (to my Blog) and that all
your NEWS is good!





No comments:

Post a Comment