Sunday, December 31, 2017

LOOKING BACK!


    MONDAY,  JANUARY 1ST., 2018
            LOOKING BACK!

     I watched (on television mind you) as
the ball prepared to drop in Times Square
to welcome 2018 right on schedule!
      There's something magic about a
new year! It's a blank slate waiting for
us to write our stories.
       As it begins we're all thinking about
time. There's the countdown to midnight
which then welcomes the new year. Then
there's the singing of Auld Lang Syne which
gets us thinking about people and things now
in our past.
        When my kids still lived at home I used
to enjoy taking them for some Time Travel
every New Year's!
         After our initial family celebration I
used to pick up the phone and call my
brother-in-law in California! He'd say
hello to everyone and verify that I had just
called into the previous year! Too bad I
didn't know anyone in England to call
just before Midnight. That would have
connected us with the future!
           My most "magical" memory took
place on another New Year's Eve/Day
some years back.
           My Dad often had to work on
New Year's Eve as movie theaters
generally drew pretty good crowds
that holiday evening. Just after Midnight
Dad would call to wish us a Happy New
Year.
         The year he passed away the
telephone rang just after Midnight! I
picked up the phone immediately but
heard no one on the other end. Our
called ID read "Caller Unknown"
but I knew who it was! And I knew
it was a sign that all was well!
        May all be well with you this
2018 and may all your NEWS be
good!
       
       

     

No comments:

Post a Comment