Wednesday, October 31, 2018

GHOSTS OF HALLOWEEN!


    THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 1ST., 2018
             GHOSTS OF HALLOWEEN!

      My wife and I stopped by our grandson's
Pre School on Wednesday to watch as he and
his classmates marched in their annual
Halloween Parade.
       It brought back some memories from
my grade school days back in my hometown.
I remember that walk around the school. Pretty
much the same thing the kids do now.
       My biggest memory though was of the
Halloween parties we had right there in the
classroom of our neighborhood school.
       The rooms were, of course, decorated
for the holiday and the parties were a break
from the daily grind of learning ABCs and
addition and subtraction.
        I guess there's some kind of law
requiring the food and beverages at Halloween
parties to come in colors reflecting the holiday.
There were cup cakes with orange icing and
then there was that "orange drink." I'm still
not really sure what it was. Certainly not
soda (although I believe that showed up by
the time we hit 4th grade. Orange of course.)
        Then there was Candy Corn! I always
liked it when it was offered at a party or
available by the handful at somebody's
house. I don't think, however, that I ever
went out an intentionally bought the stuff
myself. It was usually part of the candy we
got at those school classroom parties.
        I believe we got to go home right after
those parties which was a smart more on the
part of school officials who knew what
classes would be like after all the sugar we
kids had consumed.
        Those of us who survived the orange
drink were able to go out "Halloweening"
that evening to obtain still more candy...
enough to keep most of us going till
Christmas.
         Those parties left a legacy with me.
I still refuse to drink anything with an
orange color except pure orange juice!
          Hope your little ones got an ample
supply of  "energy" last night and that
all your NEWS is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment