Friday, September 28, 2018

SPEAKING OF ROCKS.


 SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29TH., 2018
            SPEAKING OF ROCKS.

   Rocks are on my mind today.
   50 years ago today I gave my wife to
be her diamond ring.
   About 50 hours ago I was on the rocks.
The rocks to which I refer were no diamonds
but, rather, huge boulders that line the shore
along Vinalhaven Island.
    Foolishly I had decided to try a little
fishing while my wife and I vacationed
with my buddy for a few days.
    I set up my folding chair near the edge
of what you might call a cliff. Oh, go ahead,
call it a cliff, then cast my weighted line
and Slim Jim baited hook (hey, I couldn't
find any other bait) as far into the surf as I
could.
     The fog was so thick the horn on the
Ferry Boat scared me half to death as it
passed by about 300 yards away. I never
saw the darn thing!
      I waited awhile then attempted to
retrieve my line. While the hook never
latched into any fish it had no trouble
catching one of the boulders between
me and the water line. And there is stayed
as I pulled and the line broke.
      Never a fast learner I re-hooked and
re-bailed the line, attached another weight
and repeated the process. The result was
the same. All gone. Hook, line, and
sinker.
     I must, however, say the day was not a total
loss! I spotted a nice piece of driftwood just
a few feet below me nestled in the rocks and
was able to climb down far enough without
endangering myself (too much) to grab it for
my wife who likes such things. It's her 50-
year engagement gift!
      By the way I ate the rest of the Slim Jim!
Hope nobody misses the driftwood and that
all your NEWS is good!



   

No comments:

Post a Comment