Wednesday, November 28, 2018

SPEEDY DELIVERY!


   THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 29TH., 2018
              SPEEDY DELIVERY!

      For years I have labored under the
illusion that Mr. McFeely, of "Mr. Rogers
Neighborhood," was a Postal worker. A
Mailman!
      I just learned that the man
known for his "Speedy Delivery line"
was, in fact, the primary employee
(probably the only employee) of the
"Speedy Delivery Service."
      I'm remembering that character
today as I think about Christmas
shopping.
     I have actually done some already!
This confession may cause shock to
those of you who have already heard
some of my stories about shopping on
Christmas Eve! I almost always do
some shopping then!
      What may be more amazing to
those who know me is the fact I have
done some that shopping "on line!"
      Look, I go back to the days when
you went shopping in your hometown
downtown. You saw what they had and
bought what you wanted then carried
it home.
      Rarely there was something not
offered locally that you found in a
catalog, probably Sears, that you had
to order by mail. Then you'd wait,
fingers crossed, hoping that order
would actually arrive in time for
Christmas.
      I needed a special battery for my
still camera this month. There was a time
I would have gone to Radio Shack to
find one. Since that chain has all but
disappeared I went to Best Buy. The
folks there didn't have what I needed.
But, like the Santa at Macy's who sent
customers to Gimbles, a friendly clerk
directed me to WalMart.
       That big box store didn't have my
battery either. But the clerk said I could
get it on line. Reluctantly I searched
the internet and found my battery and
a charger at an Electronics site that
promised "Speedy Delivery."
       I placed my order on a Friday
and was shocked to see my order show
up in a UPS truck on Tuesday! (I wonder
if Mr. McFeely was driving?)
       I still prefer buying locally whenever
I can but my experience has me a little
more confident in turning to the modern
version of the Sears catalog that's available
on my laptop if that's what it takes to get
what I need!
       Hope Santa's still on his Speedy
Delivery schedule and that all your NEWS
is good!  

No comments:

Post a Comment