Tuesday, July 19, 2022

TAKE "ME" ALONG!

    WEDNESDAY, JULY 20,2022

           TAKE "ME" ALONG!

     It's July 20th which, as most of you

know, is "Take A Poet To Work Day!"

I'm thinking that's not as easy as it might

sound. Unless you just happen to have a 

poet living next door with time on his or

her hands to spare. You could, of course,

just bring a book of poetry to your job

site. But that's not quite the same. So

here is my idea. I have dabbled in poetry

for some time. The video version of this

blog includes a poem I wrote a couple

years ago about a special place my wife

and I enjoy when we visit my one friend

at a cottage his family owned on Vinalhaven

island off the coast of Maine. You could simply

bring my recorded blog along any play it while

you work! Just in case that doesn't fit your 

schedule I'm including my verse for you in

this written version of my blog. At least you'll

be able to read it to yourself! I call it "The

Island."

            THE ISLAND

       by David DeCosmo


  SOMETIMES LIFE, LIKE OCEAN WAVES,

 CAN TAKE A HEAVY TOLL.

  THOSE TIMES OFT FIND US SEARCHING

 FOR A PLACE TO REST OUR SOUL.


   THE ISLAND OFFERS SUCH A REST.

  ITS SETTING SEEMS JUST RIGHT. 

   EACH DAY BRINGS CALM TRANQUILLITY

  AS DOES EACH QUIET NIGHT.


    TIME SEMS TO SLIP BY SLOWLY THERE,

   NOT MEASURED BY THE CLOCK.

     BUT RATHER BY THE CHANGING TIDE

   AND SHADOWS ON EACH DOCK.


     THE SEA MIST SEEMS TO PULL FROM EACH

    OUR LOVING MEMORIES.

     WHILE THE SUN'S BRIGHT RAYS BRING

    PROMISE,

     OF WHAT IS YET TO BE!


     THE ISLAND WAITS FOR EACH OF US,

    AND BECKONS US ONCE MORE,

     TO PUT ASIDE ALL TROUBLES,

    AND COME BACK TO ITS SHORE!           

No comments:

Post a Comment