Monday, July 30, 2018

BIRDS OF A FEATHER?


      TUESDAY, JULY 31ST/. 2018
           BIRDS OF A FEATHER?

      I've been amazed by the number of
birds that take advantage of the free meal
we offer every day!
      Each morning I fill a plastic cup with
sunflower seeds and other food that our
fine feathered friends seem to enjoy and
within minutes they're flocking around
our feeding station eating it all up.
      I usually have to bring out "seconds"
within a couple hours.
      There's a couple interesting things
about this ritual that, I believe, deserve
attention.
        First, that "feeding station" I
mentioned in actually inside  bird
cage! It's one of several cages that
came with a Cockatiel we adopted
about a half dozen years ago.
         It's strange to see birds flying
into a cage but with all that seed
inside I suppose they just think of
it as a Diner!
         It's also neat to see the variety
of birds that share the seed and the
space. Chickadees and sparrows
are routine visitors but we've also
seen Mourning Doves and several
Cardinals!
           On Tuesday, however, we
had a most unusual visitor. A
Parakeet! He didn't enter the cage
but, rather, focused on seed that
had fallen to the ground.
            Since I don't think Parakeets
are native to Pennsylvania I have to
believe he's fled a similar cage
somewhere nearby.
            Or maybe his visit was some
sort of message. You see our
Cockatiel. "Sam" passed away exactly
four years ago on July 30th!
             Of course unlike Cockatiels
Parakeets don't speak so I couldn't
ask.
             Hope he enjoyed the seed
and that all your NEWS is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment