Monday, July 23, 2018

THE SAME. BUT DIFFERENT!


  TUESDAY, JULY 24TH., 2018
 THE SAME. BUT DIFFERENT!

    I've been coming to the Jersey
shore, specifically Wildwood, for the
majority of my 75 years.
    As I reflect during this latest family
vacation it's amazing how much has
changed and yet stayed the same.
    No matter where we're staying in
the Wildwoods I still drive into town
the long way, through an area I call
 "Grassy Sound," and I always find
myself singing, humming, or
whistling the melody to "Shanty
In Old Shanty Town" as I drive through.
    My Dad always sang it when we
brought the family. I still have a recording
of him somewhere singing the tune while
strumming his ukulele.
     You get you first good whiff of the
"sea air" along that stretch. That hasen't
changed a bit.
      Condos now occupy much of the
real estate where old apartment houses
used to welcome summer visitors.
       And the once overgrown "bull
rushes" along the shore in Wildwood
Crest were cut and replaced by motel
after motel many years ago. Before
that we'd sometimes change into our
bathing suits in the dense brush and
make our way into the ocean.
       Speaking of the ocean, it's still the
same. You wonder why you've bothered
to come into the water with your first
few steps. But 6 or 7 waves later the
water is comfortable and you're riding
the surf or getting dunked a time or
two!
       The every present warning "Watch
The Tram Car Please" still sounds every
few minutes as you walk the boardwalk.
Crowds of people stroll along checking
the shops, the amusement rides, and the
food that can be so very tempting!
        The family is here, along with a
couple friends of the kids. The faces
have changed through the years but it's
still the family and that, above everything
else, makes this tradition very special.
        I often think of my Dad and Mom
and my late brother when we spend our
week at the shore. As different as things
may become that remains the same. So
great to have all the family together!
              Hope all your NEWS is good!



No comments:

Post a Comment