Friday, February 22, 2019

THE RECYCLING RACE!


   SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 23RD., 2019
            THE RECYCLING RACE!

   I was sleeping in Friday morning
waiting for the radio alarm to announce
9am. Instead, at about 8:15, my sleep
was disturbed by the sound of a heavy
truck passing somewhere close by.
    Somewhere, deep in the recesses of  my
brain, memory and current affairs thoughts
collided and electrons sent an impulse
that forced my eyes open. Well, partly
open anyway.
      This was the last Friday of the month!
Around my place this is recycling day. It
only comes once a month and I hadn't put
my recycling out for pick up!
       Firefighters would have been proud
of my instant reaction! I jumped out of
bed, grabbed my blue jeans and a handy
sweatshirt. slipped into my unlaced, but
ready, sneakers and rushed outside to
grab the recycling can to carry it out
front.
        I got there just in time to see the
collection truck turning the corner at
the bottom of my block.
        Lost? No way!
        Though still half asleep my mind
recalled all those cowboy westerns I used
to see on those long ago Saturdays before
anyone every heard of recycling.
          When somebody was getting away
all you had to do was head them off at
the pass!
           I moved the can from the front of
the house to the side where no one ever
puts out their trash. But you couldn't miss
it there. And they didn't!
            My recycling was picked up and
I still had time to go back to bed for about
30 minutes to dream about all those old
movies. Who'd believe they'd come in so
handy someday?
              Hope I've helped save the
environment and that all your NEWS
is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment