Saturday, June 4, 2022

UP, UP, AND AWAY!

   SUNDAY, JUNE 5, 2022

      UP, UP, AND AWAY!

  This is "Lighter than air Baloon

Day!" The first manned flight took

place in 1783. Their value quickly 

became clear, especially in war time!

I was discussing the observance with

my wife yesterday. I explained the

 that baloons were used for reconnaisiance

during the Civil War. Later, baloons were

used for transportation. In those cases,

I explained, hydrogen or helium carried

the baloons aloft. But hydrogen was

dangerous, remember the Hindenburg

disaster, and helium, still used for those

Macy's Thanksgiving Day parades, is

very expensive! It's easier, I explained,

to heat the air in a baloon. That causes

the molecules inside the baloon to

expand, making them lighter than air!

"But what makes the baloon go up"

she asked. "Hot air" I said! "Then

what's holding you down" she asked!

I just stared ahead. Hope you're well,

feet on the ground, and that all your

NEWS is good!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment