Thursday, May 19, 2022

I THINK SHE'S GOT IT!

   FRIDAY, MAY 20, 2022

  I THINK SHE'S GOT IT!

    I didn't get all the details but I

understand there was a lot of fuss
on the web this past week about a
guy in an eating establishment who
got very upset when he heard people
conversing in Spanish.
   As I understand it he preferred
everyone speak English.
    I bring this to your attention
because  May 20th, is
"Eliza Doolittle Day."
    For those who may not recall
Eliza was the lead female character
in the musical "My Fair Lady." She
was a Cockney flower girl who took
speech lessons from Professor Henry
Higgins. It was based on George
Bernard Shaw's play "Pygmalion and
both the play and the musical explore
the benefits of learning how to speak
properly.
     You see a lot of folks who speak
English really don't speak it very well!
     When I was just starting out in
broadcasting all of the employees at
the radio station where I worked were
required to take classes from a Penn
State professor who taught us to say
"creek" instead of "crick" and "again"
instead of "agin." 
      Those are just a couple common
mispronunciations around these
parts. Add "slang" to the mix and
there's a lot of "English speaking
people" I can't understand at all.
       Perhaps before we panic too much
about hearing another language we
might want to check to see how well
we're speaking "our own."
        Heyna? Hope all your NEWS is
good!
        
      
       


No comments:

Post a Comment