Friday, April 22, 2011

No News is.....Good News?

 OK. I've finally decided to give it a try. I left WYOU TV two years ago this month when Nexstar decided to drop local news.
 Most everyone knew that I had already been talking with management about retirement so the
decision didn't really hit me very hard. In fact company officials continued to allow my wife and
I to host trips for WYOU and Holiday Vacations. A wonderful post-work reward after 29 years of
full time service and several years of part time work before that!
 But, it seems, you can't take the newsman out of broadcasting! I continued, and continue, to check the scanner and call my former news desk, which now assign strictly for WBRE, everytime I hear something that sounds newsworthy.
 I've also been anchoring and producting three different progams for ECTV, the Public Access
Station assigned to Ch 19 in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area. That, of course, is done strictly as a volunteer. But it's fun and allows me to stay close to the business. In fact, with management's
permission, I've even helped re-broadcast a couple of WYOU programs, like the Saint Patrick's
Parade, on ECTV after Ch 22 has used them live.
 I've also become more and more interested in the Blogs I've seen on line. I find myself
checking out the Lu Lack Political Blog offered by David Yonki on a regular basis. My old
friends Kevin Jordan and Andy Palumbo both wrote some very kind comments about me
after WYOU News went dark. Both did so on Blogs they write on line.
 That's why I've decided to try a Blog myself.
 I don't want it to be a political forum. I still find myself thinking as a news reporter and, as such, actually try to stay away from comment whenever possible. That said I do find myself with
an opinion I'd like to share from time to time even if it's some of the nonsense that's entered
my world since I retired.
 We're all heard ... "No News Is Good News" so I've decided to work a title
out of that expression. We'll have to see where it goes from here.
 In the meantime here's hoping... All Your News Is Good!   

3 comments:

  1. David, happy to see you've started a blog!

    It's not news to anyone in NEPA that your reputation is one of the quintessential journalist and respected newsman; a true gentleman and I'm happy to call you my friend.

    Let these folks know you're here!
    http://nepablogs.blogspot.com/

    Happy Easter to you and your family.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your first attempt.

    Your writing ability will not let you down.

    Much luck with your new endeavor and have fun.

    Ron Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. David,

    I surfed in from the Lu Lac Political Letter.

    You are now linked from NEPA Blogs - http://nepablogs.blogspot.com. Take care and have a wonderful Easter holiday.

    Thanks,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete