Saturday, April 23, 2011

This Is Only A Test

 My wife's recent foot surgery has presented some unexpected challenges. I didn't realize how many of them would be mine! Her limited mobility, for instance, requires me to try to take over some of the tasks she usually faces. Breakfast and the laundry are two good examples.
 I'm thinking, as a veteran newsman, that information on these duties might come in handy to others
who may, at one time or another, face similar responsibilities. That said I'll pass along a couple of
quick tips and observations.
 I've learned the first thing I should do when getting ready to make breakfast is to take down the smoke
alarm closest to the kitchen. This is a simple, yet effective, way to avoid a lot of noise and concern when smoke from either the toaster or the stove begins to fill your working area.
 Eggs are often the next challenge. I've come to learn you have to 'out think them.'  If you are hoping
to make them Sunny side up...think 'scrambled' just before you break them and you'll have a decent
chance to have them come out the way you really wanted them. Reverse the thought if you're hoping
for scrambled.
 Now, as to the race between the egg and the toast, the egg will usually cook faster than the bread
turns to toast. This is important to know because you've got to consider the time it takes to get
the egg out of the pan (in one piece) as opposed to the time it takes to butter your toast after it
shoots up out of the toaster so that the perfect meal will be ready at exactly the right time.  One extra caution here...do not attempt to pre-butter your bread before putting it in the toaster!
 With a little bit of luck and a moment of very serious prayer you can probably turn out a breakfast
good enough to eat. Doing the dishes afterwards is a separate subject. But I will tell you, from past experience, that there are two kinds of Dish Washing Liquids. One of them  DOES NOT go into your dish washing machine! If, however, you should get them mixed up there is an excellent opportunity to clean
your kitchen floor.
 I didn't even get to the laundry yet. Oh well, in this realistic game of life, this is only a test!
 Hope all your NEWS is good
  

5 comments:

  1. Dave, my husband's foot surgery had me running ragged. Amazing how something like a foot can cause such immobility. Either the two of you will bond incredibly, or you'll end up in divorce curt. LOL Hope she heals well and you both get a good vacation! -Nancy Kman
    P.S. Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW- I had put a sarcasm tag after the immobility comment, but it got deleted for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud of you Dad. (BTW - Mom is, too) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. The warning on the toast tells me this advice was from you actually trying that?

    ReplyDelete