Wednesday, August 17, 2022

BAD POETRY DAY!

 


     THURSDAY, AUGUST 18TH., 2022
             BAD POETRY DAY!.

     August 18th is "Bad Poetry Day!"
    Heaven knows we've all heard our share
of bad poetry over the years. I've written
plenty myself!
     Little birdie in the cage, How I wonder
what your age..........is. I tried to pass that
off as blank verse.
     There have probably been a million
bad poems beginning with the line "Roses
are red." They're still coming up with new
ones!
      My first exposure came from my uncle
who was fond of repeating  "Little Billy
hung his sister. She was gone before they missed
her. Always up to naughty tricks, little Billy's
only 6."
      I wrote about this day in a previous blog
and listed a couple of the bad poems I wrote.
But in that last blog I promised I'd share with
you one with which I won a contest  aboard a
train roaring through the Canadian Rockies.
Poetry in motion if you will!
      We were traveling next to a river that sees
huge Salmon running upstream in season and
our coach attendant challenged us to come up
a poem with the fish as its subject.
       As I recall 4 or 5 of us entered and at
least 3 would qualify for honors in Bad
Poetry Day.
       Mine was more serious so even though
the day is suppose to be about bad poems I
humbly submit mine for your reviews.

        THE BEAUTY OF THE RIVER
HIDES A STORY JUST BELOW.
OF THE MIGHTY NORTHERN
SALMON, AND THE PLACES IT
MUST GO.
         IT'S JOURNEY TAKES IT
WESTWARD ..... THE OCEAN
DEPTHS TO ROAM.
         BUT AFTER JUST A FEW
SHORT YEARS, MOTHER NATURE
CALLS IT HOME.
        IT BATTLES RAGING
RAPIDS AND BARRIERS MADE BY
MAN, TO REACH IT'S DESTINATION,
THE PLACE ITS LIFE BEGAN.
        THERE SHE'LL COMPLETE LIFE'S
JOURNEY, IN THE WATERS NEATH THE
SUN.  WHILE THE GREAT CREATOR
WATCHES, SMILES.....AND SAYS
"WELL DONE."       

          Hope your life rhymes well and
that all your NEWS is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment