Saturday, March 30, 2019

BURNED UP!


  SUNDAY, MARCH 31ST., 2019
                BURNED UP!

    Before we bid farewell to March let's
take just a moment to remember its last
"holiday."  It's Bunsen Burner Day!
  We mark the birthday of inventor,
German chemist Robert Wilhelm
Eberhard von Bunsen!
   My Chemistry set didn't come with a
Bunsen Burner when I was a kid. I had to
use a candle to heat the chemicals I had
mixed together down in the basement.
   I heated it for about 15 minutes before
it blew up and wrecked my set. Fortunately
I didn't burn down the house!
   Years later I found myself in a High
School Chemistry Class.
   Our teacher, Mr. Scarcella, had a Bunsen
Burner to heat the test tube he was using
for the day's experiment.
   I was surprised when it, like mine, blew
up! But it only took him about 30 seconds!
  For years there was a small piece of
glass embedded in the ceiling of that
classroom. I often wondered if the students
that followed  noticed it or wondered
how it got there.
   I learned a lot from that lesson.
   First, Bunsen Burners can create
explosions far faster than candles.
   Second, I was not meant to be a
Chemist!
   I'm sure, however, that many of
today's modern scientific advancements
were born in a basement or classroom
somewhere with the aid of a Bunsen
Burner.
   I wonder if you could cook a steak
on one of them?
   Hope you'll celebrate safely and that
all your NEWS is good!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment