Wednesday, March 20, 2019

WHAT'S WRONG WITH OLD HICKORY?


     THURSDAY, MARCH 21ST., 2019
   WHAT'S WRONG WITH OLD HICKORY?

     I had to head to the County Courthouse
Wednesday to pay for a license. It was just
20 dollars and I happen to have one in my
wallet. It's the one with Andrew Jackson
on the front. Or back, depending on how
you're holding it.
      I've spent similar 20's in stores and
the movies so, as far as I know, it's still
legal tender.
       But the county wanted a check.  As
it happens I had 20 dollars in our checking
account which, I believe, represents the
same amount of money as that represented
by my printed bill. Anyway, we wrote a
check.
       A friendly deputy spotted my check
before I got through security and informed
me the county wouldn't accept a personal
check. I was a bit surprised since, as far
as I know, that's how we pay our taxes.
       He suggested a money order or a
certified check.
       I thanked him for saving me some
time and headed to the closest bank.
       There I learned that bank doesn't
issue money orders anymore! I was
being sent to a nearby Turkey Hill
but, before leaving, I realized the
place probably still issued certified
checks. They did.
        So my Andrew Jackson bill
was converted into a certified check
and I was able to conclude my
transaction.
        All the running around made
me think of the Battle of New Orleans
which, you'll remember, Old Hickory
won! Maybe they'll put his picture on
money orders and certified checks!
       Hope I get another 20 in my
wallet soon and that all your NEWS
is good!
       

No comments:

Post a Comment