Wednesday, March 6, 2019

JUST FOLLOW THE SIGNS?


   THURSDAY, MARCH 7TH., 2019
      JUST FOLLOW THE SIGNS!

   Maybe it's just me but traveling doesn't
seem quite as easy as it used to be.
    Take "Roundabouts." Please!
    I remember seeing a lot of them many
years ago when my Dad used to drive us
to the seashore in New Jersey. Back then
we called them "Traffic Circles" and, back
then, everybody hated them.
     They are now the trend here in
Pennsylvania but they're still getting a lot
of heat. The latest comes from truckers
who claim the newest roundabout is too
narrow for large trucks to navigate.
     As for us regular motorists we're just
told to follow the signs.
     Signs are great...usually.
     Yesterday, however, my wife and I
started out for Tunkhannock. Route 92
is the closest way for us to get there are
we always enjoy the scenery along the
Susquehanna River.
      There are no roundabouts on our
route. But there is a detour. Damage
to a bridge in West Pittston has forced
PennDOT to detour traffic around the
span.
      I figured that would involve a mile
or two. But I didn't realize the detour
would take us all the way down to 8th
Street in Wyoming ,then up the mountain
in the area of the Francis Slocum Park.
     I know the area so I could easily
figure my own new route to Tunkhannock.
I feel sorry, however, to people unfamiliar
to the area as they follow those detour
signs to the top of 8th Street!
     The arrow on that sign points left.
But the word "detour" is upside down!
So, are you really suppose to turn right?
      Maybe a roundabout would fit there?
Then you could go right by turning left.
      Maybe they could just get the Army
Corps of Engineers to erect a "Baily Bridge"
to replace the one that's closed. They seem
to be able to put up bridges in a day rather
than months.
      Hope nobody gets lost, and that all
your NEWS is good!


      

     
          

No comments:

Post a Comment