Friday, March 3, 2023

HOLMES WRECKERS!

   SATURDAY, MARCH 4, 2023

        HOLMES WRECKERS!

 No! I didn't say "Home Wreckers.!

I'm talking about "Holmes Wreckers."

I saw an interesting historical post

with my email yesterday and thought

I'd share it with you. It's a story that

began way back in 1916 when a

mechanic in Tennessee got word

that a guy driving a Model T Ford had

run into a creek. He grabbed a rope and

some blocks and went to help. He and

5 others took 8 hours to get the car out

of the stream! The mechanic, Ernest

Holmes, realized there must be a better

way to handle situations like that. He

attached a chain and pully system on

his 1913 Cadillac thus inventing the

first Tow Truck, or Wrecker as those

type vehicles have come to be known!

He made other improvements over the

years and became a Tow Truck supplier

for the Army in World Wars I and II.

He even came up with wreckers

for NASCAR! Holmes wreckers can

still be found on the road today! Reminds

me of a caution one of my former TV

photographers gave me one day.

Whether your car is new or old...one

day "the Hook" will get it! Just thought

you ought to know! Hope all your NEWS

is good!



No comments:

Post a Comment