Wednesday, March 8, 2023

OUR NEWEST CELEBRATION!

      THURSDAY, MARCH 9, 2023

     OUR NEWEST CELEBRATION!

     Regular followers of my Blog know how

I love to tell you about unusual but unofficial

holidays. Well today we observe what is likely

the newest of those "celebrations." March 9th

is "Slam The Scam Day!" It was created just

two years ago in an effort to alert people to

the growing number of Scams they face these

days. The scammers usually arrive by a telephone

call. They claim to represent some government

agency and demand payment for some debt

that say you owe Uncle Sam or claim your

social security number has been compromised

and you've got to take action of some sort.

Sometimes they demand payment and threaten

you with arrest. Sometimes they want you to

give up personal information to "verify your

account." Well truth be known the Federal

Government never calls to make such demands

or request such information. And yet, in 2022,

some 500 million dollars was lost to scammers!

The trick is to be aware of these schemes before

they take you by surprise. The best advice is to

simply reject calls from someone you don't know

or hand up immediately if you hear from someone

demanding money or requestion personal

information. I must admit I tend to play along

with the scammers from time to time and 

usually they're the ones that hang up on me.

Especially when they ask for my social securing

number and I tell them I'm so old my number is

"1." Hope you stay alert for the scammers, slam

them when they call, and that all your NEWS is

good!  

No comments:

Post a Comment