Friday, September 16, 2011

It's No Fair!

   Word that the annual Bloomsburg Fair has
been cancelled got me to thinking about some
interesting times I had there over the years.
    Pennsylvania never had an official "State
Fair" so, for most of us in northeastern and
central Pennsylvania, the Bloomsburg Fair
was it!
    As teens some of the guys would get
together to go there to enjoy the midway,
have some great food and, maybe, meet some
girls. I, of course, just went along to be with
my friends.
    In the early 60's however, my work in
Broadcasting took me to the fair where I
got a look behind the scenes and got to meet
some interesting people.
    I was part of a two-man morning comedy
show on WNAK when my boss and I
decided to get some celebrity interviews at
the fair. That's where we met the Lennon
Sisters (less one...Janet was sick) and Bob
Lido of  the Lawrence Welk Band. As part of
our routine I got to 'sing' with the girls for
our radio show in my 'Jerry Lewis-like'
character voice. Hopefully the tape is lost
and the sound vibrations have long since
got into some Black Hole in outer space!
  I met Brenda Lee at another Bloomsburg
Fair. I had worked for weeks to arrange an
interview. When we met it seemed like she
had no time for anyone, let alone a local
radio DJ. I did get a brief interview but
was very disappointed. That's when I ran
into Dale Robertson, the actor who stared
in the television series "Tales of Wells
Fargo." We was the MC for the Fair's stage
show that night. I had no prior arrangement
to meet or interview him. But he not only
took the time to record with me...he also
would ask me to wait while he did his bit
on stage...then came back each time and
resumed our conversation. Talk about a
nice guy! And, by the way, he's still around
although retired from his acting career that
included 63 films!
   The fair became a real challenge during
my TV reporting days. You had to work
your way through some huge crowds, find
different and interesting subjects for many
reports and get them edited on time
without the use of your usual writing and
editing equipment.
   Then...there was always some rain. At
least it always seemed that way. Local
people would say you could expect rain
because it was time for the Bloomsburg
Fair!
   I was always dressed to go on TV. That
meant suit and tie and shoes...all of which
usually got either wet or muddy..or both!
   I don't know if next year's event will be
bigger than ever. I know this year's rain
was!
  Anyhow you'll have to wait for rides,
the races, and the roast beef. Even the
best 'Mudders' would have a tough time
pulling sulkies around the track his year.
   We'll just have to go with the
memories this time around. You'll forgive
me if I omit 'Brenda!'
   Hope you'll find your Blue Ribbon
somewhere else this year and that all
your NEWS is good! 

1 comment:

  1. Wait...WNAK had a morning comedy show? I can't imagine Bob Nielsen allowing that!

    I grew up listening to WNAK from, say, 1968-1977 or so, and I credit that with giving me a very diverse knowledge of music from before "my time!"

    http://anothermonkey.blogspot.com/2007/10/wnak-or-robert-goulet-is-dead.html

    ReplyDelete