Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Truth or Consequences

   I wrote recently about the trend in movies
to remake old films.
   But there's another trend that's really big
in the theaters these days.
   It involves movies that are "Based on a
true story." Or, this is another popular
one.."Based on actual events."
   The problem, of course, is that we usually
don't know exactly what part of the story
actually happened.
   Movies about the Alamo have been around
since at least 1953. I remember seeing that
version at a theater in Freeland.
   In every version the battle essentially
ends the same way...and it's based on actual
events. Still there's plenty of "artistic
license" involved!
   As long as we're enjoying the
presentation as 'entertainment' rather than
accepting what we see as actual 'history'
it's no big deal.
   I am a little concerned, however, about
the younger audience that may accept
everything it sees as fact.
  That could lead to some misinformation
and unintended consequences!
   We visited the cemetery in Halifax
last year where many victims of the
Titanic are buried!
   One of the two most visited grave
sites is a stone marked "J. Dawson."
   Jack Dawson was the handsome
 lead character in the 1997 movie
"Titanic."  Cemetery visitors have
left flowers and movie ticket stubs on
what they believe is his final resting
place.
   But the grave belongs to Joseph
Dawson who was actually a laborer
on the staff of the ill fated ship.
   "Jack Dawson" , Leonardo DiCaprio,
is alive and well and waiting for the
release of his newest feature in which
he plays famed FBI Director J. Edgar
Hoover! It is, of course, "Based on a
true story!"
   I guess it's  a little like the stories I tell my
grand kids. I end each by saying..."It's
a true story. I made it up!" And, in most
cases, it's true that I did make it up!
   And remember the old saying ...
"Truth can be stranger than fiction."
   Even if it isn't it sure beats an old
movie that's being remade for the third
or forth time!
   The truth is I hope you enjoy the
show and that all your NEWS is good!
  
  
   
      

1 comment:

  1. I think I've seen that cemetery. Wonder if Leo will wear a dress in that latest role... based on a true story. ;-)

    ReplyDelete