Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Very BIG Day!

   This is a very BIG day!
   September 22nd is "Elephant Appreciation Day!"
   It was created in 1996 by Mission Media.
   It's founder, Wayne Hepburn, received a paperweight
of elephants on parade from his daughter as a gift. He,
according to holidayinsights,com, became fascinated by
them and started to collect books and trinkets featuring
....yep...elephants.
   I have seen a lot of animals this past week.
   Many make good pets.
   I like seeing pets...as long as they belong to somebody
else!
   I have enough trouble taking care of myself although
we, that is my wife and I, do have a few fish and a
small Cockatiel with a limited vocabulary.
    Other critters have tried to come into my life this
week....at least in passing. And I'm OK with that as
long as they keep passing.
     I've already blogged about the huge bear that
hauled our trash bag into some nearby woods.
     We saw both a Blue Heron and an eagle at a local
 lake.
     And my buddy brought his dog along when
visiting our camper the other day.
     But I haven't seen any elephants this week.
     In fact, I don't think I spotted any last week
either.
     I guess you would have to say they are
"seasonal."
     They come during "Circus season" when
Ringling Brothers or one of the other big shows
come to town.
       I like seeing elephants....as long as they
belong to somebody else.
       My friend had to take a break from his
otherwise relaxing visit to clean up a mess his
dog left behind. Imagine if he had an
elephant!
        Anyhow supporters of "Elephant
Appreciation Day" suggest you pay a visit to
your local zoo to show your appreciation.
        The 'local zoo' in Scranton is long gone
as is "Rosey" the elephant that was once its star
attraction.
         The next closest animal preserve lists
50 species....but no elephants!
          So, unless you're willing to travel to
find an elephant to appreciate, I can only think
of one alternative.
         Perhaps hugging a Republican will do?
         Hope you don't work for peanuts and
that all your news is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment