Saturday, September 17, 2011

Happy Birthday To Me!

   Wow! What happened over night?
    When I went to bed I was 68. But I wake
up and I'm 69! Then again..it's good to wake
up!
   If you read my blog even occasionally you
already know I like to point out little know
'special' days that come along each month.
   But today is my Special Day! It's my
Birthday. I've had a whole mess of them
over the years and I have to tell you.....I still
enjoy them!
   But in my search for those 'special days' I
like to write about I was stunned to find out
how many compete with my birthday
celebration!
   I've know for a long time that September
17th was "Constitution" or "Citizenship Day."
   It's the anniversary of the signing of the
United States Constitution in 1778. I didn't
cover that one. I must have been on another
assignment!  It's also the day we're suppose
to appreciate being American Citizens..hence
"Citizenship Day."
   I don't mind sharing my birthday with those
important days. Besides...they came first so
they should have some priority.
   But must we also divide my celebration
with some other observances?
   September 17th is also the beginning of
Oktoberfest...the massive two-week German
festival that has spread all over our country
too. Heck...it's only half past September!
   I only get my one day. How come the
beer drinkers get two weeks!?
   Of course the 17th makes still another
'special' observation. It is National
Apple Dumpling Day!"
   I kind of like that one so maybe I'll
celebrate it along with my birthday.
   Maybe I can start a new tradition and have
an Apple Dumpling Cake  with candles
for my birthday!?
   On second thought....how many candles
can you get on an apple dumpling?
   Hope you've read the constitution,are
good citizens, go easy on the beer with
you apple dumpling, and that all your
NEWS is good!

2 comments:

  1. I'll say it here too David... Happy Birthday to the best of the best. proud to call you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy (belated) birday, David! (Or, as Miss Judy would sometimes say, "birthade." By the way, if you look behind the chair in the living room, you'll find a surprise! Probably. Especially if you have cats.)

    ReplyDelete