Tuesday, September 25, 2018

FRESH SEAFOOD


WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 26TH., 2018 
             FRESH SEAFOOD!

  You kind of expect to be able to
get fresh seafood when you come to
a place like Vinalhaven Island.
You'll certainly find it in most
local restaurants. But "fresh" is
a relative term.
  Regular readers to my daily
nonsense will remember Bob, the
lobster man I met Monday while
photographing a beautiful sunset.
I asked him about getting some
lobsters and, sure enough, he
called Tuesday afternoon telling
us his daily catch was in.
   I drove the short distance to
his home where he presented me
with double wrapped plastic bags
containing three large lobsters
that were, to use an old immigration
term, "fresh off the boat."
   I won't tell you what he charged
so as not to have his home swamped
with visitors from all over the east
coast looking for a bargain!
   Upon returning to my buddy's
cottage I checked out the crustaceans
which could only be fresher had I
pulled them from the water minutes
before.
   Being a chilly day, however, I
thought as how they might be cold
in that plastic bag. So, being a
caring individual, I had my wife
prepare a comfortable hot bath for
all three in a pot set upon the
cottage stove.
   Although I saw no signs of
sunshine through the gloomy, rainy
clouds somehow all three lobsters
seemed to have a severe sunburn
after 15 minutes or so.
   Additionally we found them
unresponsive! Perhaps they had
drowned.
   Burial at sea seemed pointless
since they had already been at sea.
So, we ate them!
   Hope I can remember Bob's address
and that all your NEWS is good. 







No comments:

Post a Comment