Saturday, January 14, 2012

A CLOSE "CALL!"

 Regular readers will recall my delight with
Cinemark's decision to issue a caution to
movie goers who insist on texting while the
bulk of the audience is trying to watch the
show.
  What's impressive is Cinemark's promise
to ask offenders to leave the theater.
  I've only just seen the warning and, at least
during that particular feature,I never saw anyone
use a cell phone at all...except to shut it off
about the time the previews came up on the
screen.
  I wondered if other theaters will be following
Cinemark's lead.
 Yesterday we visited one that is not!
 And, sure enough, we were treated to three
patrons who just had to do some texting
while the main attraction was running on the
big screen.
  I wondered, for a while, if they might
actually be texting each other!
  As I said, the theater issued no specific
warning about texting.
 But my buddy did!
 He was polite, first using a "stage whisper
to his wife about how rude it was to interfere
with every one's enjoyment of the show.
  Then he used a more direct approach, still
polite though, asking the closest offender to
"Please" turn off her phone.
  The young woman complied and thus will
never know that my friend's wife was just
about set to issue a "warning" of her own.
  I don't think she would have said "Please."
 She probably would not have asked her to
leave the theater as per the Cinemark
policy. But I believe the woman or her
phone would have ended up outside!
  I like a movie with action.
 And I think we came pretty close to seeing
more than we anticipated at this movie!
  Hope you always say "please" and that all
your NEWS is good! 

1 comment:

  1. Texting is bad enough, but I'll never forget watching Kill Bill in a theater in Little Rock when an individual in front of me decided to have a conversation on their cell phone well into the movie. And because the movie was loud they were yelling so the person on the other end of the line could here them. This happened a couple of times and these weren't short conversations. Anyway, the Little Crowd was amazingly tolerant but someone finally yelled out to remind the individual that the rest of us were trying to watch a movie. You should have seen the look on the cell phone users face. Anyway, he did get the message.

    ReplyDelete