Wednesday, January 25, 2012

State (s) Of The Union

  I didn't watch the President's State of the
Union address last night.
  I haven't watched one of those for a few
years....even when I was a full time news
reporter. I never had to!
  By the time the President, any President,
was beginning his speech most everything
to be said was already previewed on every
network and major publication available.
  Then the next day, news analysts and
spokespersons for the opposing
party, and every talk show host and caller
was either applauding or, more likely,
ripping apart everything that was said.
  I always disliked the title too!
  When I was born there were 48  "States
of the Union."   I've heard they have
added two since then. But I'll only believe
it when I see them.
  If they're going to do this every year I
think they should call it like it is!
  It should be the...."This Is How I Think
Things Are and Should Be"...address!
   My own State of the Union isn't too bad.
   My wife and I are coming up on 43 years
of marriage and are, for the most part,
enjoying everyday.
   Of course I don't hear too well and she
speaks very softly. But that can make for
a very agreeable conversation.
   Maybe the President and the Congress
should think about that!
   I hope those of you who did watch the
"State of the Union"speech enjoyed it.
   There was a time when you had no
choice but to watch it if your TV was
turned on.
   Fortunately the "State of the Union" in
the television industry is such that we've
got all kinds of other channels to watch!
   I picked the one showing that action
movie "Taken."
   Of course I know what happens and
how it ends.
   But after seeing other"State of the
Union" addresses of the past......I
pretty much know what happens in
those and, generally, how they end.
    Hope your personal "State of the
Union" is OK and that all your NEWS
is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment