Thursday, January 5, 2012

This Is For The Birds!

   OK, We've had
Christmas, New Year's
Eve, and New Year's Day.
   Just ahead we've got "Russian Christmas",
Martin Luther King Day, and Chinese New
Year!
  And you though we were through with the
"Holiday Season!"
  I wonder how many of you know that today
is "National Bird Day?" Not be be confused
with "Bird Day" or "International Migratory
Bird Day."
  National Bird Day was established by bird
activists. I'm going to go "out on a limb" here
and suggest these were actually "people
activists" acting on behalf of birds. I don't
thing "bird activists" could mount much of a
lobbying effort!
  Anyway, these activists set up National Bird
Day to "recognize the plight of captive birds."
  Now, as it happens, my wife and  I have a
"captive bird."
  He is a Cockatiel. And I haven't noticed him
to be in any sort of "plight."
  We adopted, or rescued him, from his previous
owner who was moving to an apartment where
only one pet was permitted per unit.
  She had a dog and the bird and choose to keep
the dog.
  I suppose she could have freed the Cockatiel
from captivity just be releasing it out her
window.
  Had she done so our feathered friend would be
free. Although it occurs to me the outside
temperatures of the past two days might
have found him facing a rather serious "plight!"
  Instead he is perched in a clean cage in a warm
house with food, water, and even "toys" he
seems to enjoy.
  If he is in "plight" he hasn't said anything
about it as yet. Admittedly his vocabulary is
somewhat limited. But he does insist he
"is a pretty bird" and sometimes asks "How are
you?"
  We have some fish too!
  I'm not sure if there's any "fish activists" out
there. And I don't know if there's a "National
Fish Day."
   We don't have a cat. Well. not exactly. As I've
noted before there are a lot wandering through
our development. They're not only not
captive. They're owner-less! Some local
"activist" seems to be encouraging their
reproduction and then making sure they're
not held captive by releasing them to howl at
night and sit on car hoods in the morning
    Somebody who must have just moved in
posted a sign near the mailboxes the other day.
    It gave us a big laugh!
    Seems they "found a small black cat."
    I think they're going to need a lot of
note paper if they stick around any length of
time!
    I think, for the time being, I'll keep the
Cockatiel in his cage and the fish in their
aquarium.
    I'll let you know if I see any signs of
"plight."
    Hope you're not facing any...and that all
your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment