Monday, December 4, 2017

OLD MAN RIVER!


   TUESDAY, DECEMBER 5TH., 2017
                OLD MAN RIVER!

     Several of the trails my wife and I have
found for our walks (whenever we get them
in) follow old railroad lines. And many of
those old rail lines run right along side a
river.
      The Lehigh Gorge trail is one of our
favorites. As the name suggests it runs
along the Lehigh River. Many years ago
I traveled on the train that rode the rails
that used to be there.
       Though not former rail lines the
trails built along the levee system in
Wyoming Valley are also attractive. They,
of course, follow the Susquehanna River.
        On Monday we decided to try another
of the Rails to Trails system for a mile or
two. Since we're just sort of getting back
into our hikes we didn't want to press our
luck by going too far.
         We remembered noticing the trail
that follows the Susquehanna right along
Route 11 in the West Nanticoke area.
We pulled into "Canal Park" and walked
up to the trail then headed south.
          It was neat to see the river off to
our left but the "glamor" of this trail
faded quickly as the traffic on Route
11 flew by off to our right! A lot of
noise and a fair amount of carbon
monoxide floating through the air.
. Trails are better suited to a more tranquil
environment!
          Of course, from a practical point
of view, I felt good knowing if I got
too tired I could send my wife back for
the car and she'd be able to pull up right
next to the trail to pick me up!
           I decided not to share that thought
with her!
           We made it back then recovered
our calories with some good pork Bar-B-
Q!  That made it all worthwhile!
            Hope all your NEWS is good!





         

No comments:

Post a Comment