Tuesday, December 5, 2017

YOU LOAD 16 TON

   WEDNESDAY, SUNDAY, DECEMBER 6TH,
                 YOU LOAD 16 TON    

         I'll bet the term "Happy Holidays"
doesn't include this one!
         December 6th., is National Miner's
Day. And, by the way, it's  official! A
resolution designating the day was passed
by the U.S. Senate in 2009.
      Other than occasional visits to the
Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour my only
experience with mining came as a reporter
a few years back. It was in Schuylkill County
where a team of brothers operated a coal
mine some 500 feet below the surface.
      My photographer and I were invited
inside so, after putting a set of coveralls
over my business suit, I joined my cameraman
and one of the brothers on a ride straight
down into the mine standing on a ladder
inside a giant coal bucket!
     There was a long tunnel at the bottom
with a set of tracks and a small engine used
to haul a sting of coal cars. We road in one of
the cars and had to duck every few feet
so our head didn't smack a timber or one of
the light bulbs that provided the only glow
inside that long cave.
     Water dripped everywhere and I couldn't
help but notice the way we came in seemed
to be the only way out. That's when I stated
to wonder if I really needed to be there.
      That thought hit me again when the miner
said he was about to set off a charge! That's
dynamite to us lay people!
      I made it back out with a good story and a
much deeper appreciation to those men who
spent the better part of their lives laboring in
tunnels like that to provide for their families
and our communities.
      Up till then I figured a "Beaker Boy" was
the kid that flipped the switch to get the lights
back on!
       I'd like to see today's minors learn more
about the miners we're suppose to be honoring!
       Hope we all remember them and that all
your NEWS is good!

    


















      
 

No comments:

Post a Comment