Friday, December 22, 2017

THERE AROSE SUCH A CLATTER!


    SATURDAY, DECEMBER 23RD., 2017
      THERE AROSE SUCH A CLATTER!

     There's something about the roar of those
jet engines when you're taking off. It's the sound
of brute power. Of course you expect it while
sitting in a 747.
      It was a little more disconcerting when I
heard it coming from somewhere just west of
my front door at about 8:50 Friday night.
      Were it Christmas Eve I might have
imagined that Santa had traded in his 8
reindeer (9 counting Rudolph) for an F-16!
       I ran outside with my camera to see if
it was anything I could capture with a photo
but I only heard the roar. I half expected to
see some new type helicopter taking off
from Geisinger's Heliport but there was
nothing to be seen,
       Someone else in the area called one
of our Township Commissioners to report
what he described as a jet flying low over
one area.
        Next complaints began to come in
from other neighborhoods some distance
away.
        The Township dispatched someone
to the area to give a listen but by the time
I got word of the dispatch the roar had
dwindled down to a soft purr around our
neighborhood.
         Upon further checking it seems
the likely source of the disturbance was
a Gas main break near Home Depot.
That's about two miles from my place
but less as the crow flies (or is blown
through the air).
         I'm sorry about the break but
happy it's a logical explanation. I'd
hate to think Santa went down testing
a new delivery system!
         Hope the noise is gone and
that all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment