Wednesday, October 16, 2019

DERAILED!


   THURSDAY, OCTOBER 17TH., 2019
                      DERAILED!

     Somebody here is on the wrong track!
     I don't get involved in political
controversy so I'll let you decide who's
engineering this wreck.
     According to news reports the
railroad that's been oaring scenic
excursions in Jim Thorpe for some 15
years is pulling out! In fact it's already
offering refunds to prospective riders
who booked the annual Santa Train ride!
       The problem, it seems, is an
amusement tax. But I don't find the
issue very amusing.
        The borough o Jim Thorpe has
filed a lawsuit against the Lehigh
Gorge Scenic Railroad seeking to
recover what it claims is over
$100,000 in back taxes!
           Personally, I wondering
how much the community stands
to lose if it wins the lawsuit but loses
the railroad!
           I, and members of my family,
have been pleased to be among the
million or so riders that have boarded
that train in the past 10 years. If we're
any example our financial contribution
to the borough didn't end with the
our purchase of our tickets.
          Parking fees alone must have
paid for somebody's salary. And there's
almost always been a dinner. Often
some downtown shopping as well.
          My personal disappointment
in this issue goes well beyond the
controversy.
           I used to ride a train into and
out of  Jim Thorpe long before
passenger service was limited to a
scenic ride. The station that has been
serving tourists was my boarding
platform to New York City!
             Unless there's a last minute
change in schedule "The Last Train
To Clarksville"....I mean Jim Thorpe,
runs on Sunday, November 24th.
             Hope someone heads off
this derailment and that all your
NEWS is good!




     

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! so much for sharing News updates. Furthermore, Latest News visit at....
    Latest News Updates

    ReplyDelete