Thursday, October 17, 2019

THE FUNNIES!


    FRIDAY, OCTOBER 18TH., 2019
                 THE FUNNIES!

      October 18th is "Newspaper Comic
Strip Appreciation Day."
       A lot of people don't get the daily
paper everyday and they're missing a
lot more than local news! They're
missing the funnies!
        I was a devoted reader of the
comic strips back in the day.
        Comics like Blondie, Donald
Duck, The Little King, Ally Opp,
Superman, and the Phantom got me
more into reading that any course
in Literature I ever took in school.
         That could account for my
writings these days.
         Sunday papers were especially
appreciated with at least one full
page of color comics.
           I must admit I'm a bit bias
on the subject since I actually
appeared in the comics!
            I, and my colleagues on
a committee to restore the Joe
Palooka Monument along Route
309, found ourselves included in
that character's comic strip back
in the 1970's.
           We were pictured as judges
in a beauty contest since that was
the subject of the strip's storyline
at the time.
            It's one of my favorite
claims to fame although many
people were not surprised to
find me in the "funnies."  There
are those that think the comic
strip is a perfect place for me!
           Many of my old favorite
comic strips, including Joe Palooka,
and gone now although a few, like
Blondie and the Phantom have
survived.
           They're still fun and, in
many cases, better reading than
the news headlines!
           Hope you enjoy them too
and that all your NEWS is good!





No comments:

Post a Comment