Tuesday, October 15, 2019

GUN VIOLENCE!


   WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 16TH., 2019
                  GUN VIOLENCE!

     This is a serious topic everywhere these
days and I guess it's my turn to comment.
      You could say I became the latest victim
the other evening!
       Now don't panic! I have not been shot
or even threatened. Here's the story.
        I recently acquired an antique pistol
at a local auction. It's a 1909 Savage. The
gun that came in second to the Colt 45
during the military's 1907 trials to come
up with a new army pistol.
        I fired the gun at an unofficial range
not far from my hole and was delighted
at how well something that old worked.
        There was one problem. The "slide"
which must be pulled to get the gun ready
to fire was extremely hard to pull! I
managed to get it but not until after many
tries!
         When I saw YouTube videos of
similar guns it became clear their slides
were much easier to pull then mine.
           I figured a visit to a nearby
gunsmith was in order to clean and
lubricate my new antique.
           Being a responsible owner I
wanted to make doubly sure the chamber
was empty before I took it to the shop.
           Of course to do that I had to pull
the slide back again. I had it just back
far enough to see the clear chamber when
it slipped and sliced my pointer finger!
             I learned an important lesson.
             Guns don't cut people! People
who aren't strong enough to hold the
slide open cut people!
             So the gun's in the shop and
the finger's in a bandage. My "trigger
finger" by the way!
             I do expect complete recovery
in a couple days.
              Back in the day the famous
lawman Bat Matheson promoted this
gun in advertisements lauding its
ease of operation. Guess they made
stronger men and easier slides back
then!
              Hope I'm back on the range
soon (with gloves) and that all of
your NEWS is good.
             
       

No comments:

Post a Comment