Sunday, April 14, 2019

STORIES WORTH THE TELLING!


    MONDAY, APRIL 15TH., 2019
  STORIES WORTH THE TELLING!

   It was 107 years ago today that RMS
Titanic sank to the bottom of the
Atlantic ocean and we're still fascinated
by the stories about that disaster.
   I know because I became part of one
of them!
   In 1972, after interviewing a Titanic
survivor who lived in Wilkes-Barre I
learned, by chance or destiny, the
identity of a woman who had saved
that survivor's infant son the night of
the sinking!
    The two had never met but connected
with each other by phone and letter
after my story became public.
     That revelation set me on a journey
to learn more and more about Titanic,
especially concerning stories relating
to local families with ties to the ill
fated ship.
      Each year, usually, in April, I get
requests to share my files with schools
or civic groups and, when I can, I'm
happy to do so.
       The last Titanic survivor, Millvina
Dean, died in 2009. Since she was only
two months old when the ship sank, even
her memories were those inherited from
her mother.
       Movies, and there have been many,
recount the stories and legends of the
tragedy. But individual stories are now
told by the survivors of the survivors.
       Titanic still generates new stories
too. It's only within the last ten years,
for instance, we've learned that Robert
Ballard's search for the ship was really
the result of a top secret Navy exploration
for two sunken submarines! The discovery
of the Titanic wreckage was an extra
added attraction!
         Hope the stories keep coming and
that all your NEWS is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment