Wednesday, April 3, 2019

THE GATHERING.


   THURSDAY, APRIL 4TH., 2019
              THE GATHERING.

    My wife had me accompany her to
a gathering last evening, I, somewhat
reluctantly, went along.
      It was a "viewing" or "wake" for
an old friend of her family. I agreed to
go primarily because I knew one member
of the deceased's family and wanted to pass
along my condolences.
       I have never been fond of attending
these events. I'm sure most of us feel the
same way. In my case it probably stems
from when I was a kid. Back then there
were two schools of thought on the
matter. One held that kids shouldn't be
brought to funerals while the other cited
the benefits of learning about life's eventual
end early. I apparently came from the first
school.
         In the case of this latest gathering
I would have been listed as an "also
attending." My wife knew the entire
family from childhood so, in a sense,
it was like a reunion for old friends and
neighbors for her.
           It was, I will admit, an uplifting
tribute and honor to the woman who
passed. Photos of her, her children,
grandchildren, and friends were displayed
on TV monitors in the Funeral home
while some of her favorite music played
in the background. I was impressed to
hear a polka by the Andrews Sisters!
            It made me think we should have
more gatherings of families and friends
without having to lose someone to bring
them about.
             Hope you're making efforts like
that and that all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment