Monday, November 6, 2017

THE TRUNDLE BED.


   TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 7TH., 2017
           THE TRUNDLE BED.

   "Wynken and Blynken are two little eyes,
   And Nod is a little head,
And the wooden shoe that sailed the skies
   Is a wee one's trundle-bed."
  (From a children's poem by Eugene
Field. 1889)
   Our trundle-bed, the one in our spare
room cradled our two-year-old grandson
last night for the first of what I hope will
be many sleep overs at our home.
     That bed has served us well!
     My brother-in-laws used it when it was
still in my wife's home when she was
growing up. Then it came here.
      My oldest grandson, now 19, insists he
had slept there "about a billion times" by the
time he was two. It was probably a few less
although each was probably worth a billion
dollars to Grannie and me!
       Over the years the bed has been a
temporary sanctuary for some family
members who needed a place to stay for a
while even if just for a night or two.
        Visitors know it's been available to
them when they've come to share holidays
or as an overnight place to crash on their
way to somewhere else.
          My wife  has depended on it as a
place to lay out our traveling clothes when
we're getting ready for a trip.
           Most recently it's served as a train
platform for a little electric trolley car last
night's overnight visitor loves to watch and
operate!
            I got to enjoy it myself for a while
last night as I turned out the lights and
made up a story I recited to my grandson.
My tone got softer and soften until I was
sure this "Wynken, Blynken. and Nod" had
sailed off to that "river of crystal light, into
a sea of dew."
           Hope we'll sail together again for
many years and that all your NEWS is
good.




No comments:

Post a Comment