Friday, December 14, 2018

BOXING DAY!


  SATURDAY, DECEMBER 15TH., 2018
                   BOXING DAY!

    I know! Technically speaking Boxing Day
is the day after Christmas. But Boxing Day at
our church is a little bit different!
     First, it's at night! Secondly our boxes aren't
meant for Postmen, errand boys, or servants as
is the custom in England and other countries.
     We use shoe boxes and containers about
the same size.
      About this time every year volunteers
gather to pack those boxes with small toys
and novelties our Pastor will deliver to children
at a number of shelters and aid centers in
Philadelphia!
       All of the boxes will be wrapped. None
by me! Wrapping packages is another one
of those abilities that have never been available
to me! Paper never folds the way my mind
intends it to! And the use of an entire roll of
Scotch tape on one package does not seem to
be acceptable to others working with me.
       If it's any consolation, I am extremely
good at ripping packages open!
       Anyway, since I can't (or are not
allowed to) wrap, I assist in packing the
packages.
       Alas this project can also present a
problem for me. You see I've never met a
toy I didn't like and sometimes feel
compelled to "test" items before depositing
them in their containers. I'm told if I were
an elf Christmas would have to be delayed
till March.
        There was no shortage of toys, balls,
stuffed animals, coloring books and
crayons and such. There were new items
like "slime" and an old favorite of mine,
Silly Puddy!
         Young and not so young volunteers
pitched in with the project and all the items
were donated by church members from
New Life Community Church, Taylor
Primitive Methodist Church and Clear
Pathways. And while one effort was
aimed towards kids another line filled
additional boxes with items for women
who have need of the aid centers.
         I helped with the packing and...…
guess what!? There were a few packages
that had to be unwrapped to be rewrapped
when we found whether the presents were
for girls or boys. So guess who used his
expertise in unwrapping! Yep. I did!
         Hope the kids who get these boxes
have a great Christmas and that all their
NEWS, and yours, is good!







No comments:

Post a Comment