Tuesday, December 4, 2018

YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!


   WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 5TH., 2018
        YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!          

    I usually steer clear of social controversy in
my daily blog but now and then an issue arises
that sort of blows my mind! One such issue
came up last week.
    It began in Cleveland where a radio station,
responding to a listener's complaint, decided
to ban the playing of the song "Baby It's Cold
Outside."
    I'm not exactly sure which part of that story
annoyed me more. The complaint or the station's
reaction. I may be equally annoyed by both.
    The objector, or objectors, complained the
songs suggestive lyrics are an insult to the
current women's "Me too movement."
    While I am sympathetic to that cause I
must note that the tune has been around
without any expressed objections since
1944!
     At the same time, and for several years,
other stations have been playing songs,
frequently Rap records, that have, in some
cases, glorified crime and violence.
     I join my colleague Rusty Fender in
remembering that, in the past, conplaints
about any sort of radio programming were
usually addressed with a reminder that the
complainer was free to turn the dial and
listen to somebody else!
     There are likely hundreds if not
thousands of songs that, if dissected by an
individual or group with a cause, could be
considered objectionable. If you're
thinking that deep you're probably thinking
way too hard!
      "Baby It's Cold Outside" would not top
any of my lists.! The lyrics certainly never
bothered me...….no matter which girl was
singing them to me!
       Hope it stays on the "Play list" and
that all your NEWS is good.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment