Monday, December 17, 2018

TALLY HO!


   TUESDAY, DECEMBER 18TH., 2018
                      TALLY HO!

      I never gave much thought to the old
expression "Little  pitchers have big ears."
It's been around since at least the 1500's
and likens the curved handle of a pitcher
to the human ear.
      It is used to remind adults that kids
hear  everything you say, so you should
choose your words wisely.
      I'm a guy who has used words all his
life in my broadcasting profession so I
know a lot of them.
      I have recently noticed that my 3-year-
old grandson is listening even when he
may not seem to be.
      We'd be in the car. I'd look at a
building and say something like
"That used to be a movie theater." Next
thing I knew we'd be passing another
building and he'd say "that used to be an
airport!
       My "used to be's" are authentic. His
are funny! And imaginative!
       Last night we were looking for
Christmas lights. When I saw a
decorated house just ahead I borrowed
an old phrase we used to use in the
WYOU helicopter when he spotted
another aircraft nearby. "Tally Ho" I
said as I pointed out the house covered
in holiday lights.
       Over the next few blocks I heard
the term "Tally Ho" whenever more
Christmas lights appeared. Then, when
he arrived at his house, he ran to the
Christmas tree, pointed at a lighted
bulb and shouted "Tally Ho!"
       He has also added the term "Hoosegow"
to his vocabulary when speaking of a
jail! This "Little Pitcher" does have big
ears! And a good memory!
       Hope he listens as well when
I ask him to pick up the toys,,,and that
all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment