Thursday, December 5, 2019

GETTING THERE IS ALL THE FUN!


    FRIDAY, DECEMBER 6TH., 2019
  GETTING THERE IS ALL THE FUN!

   I know. You've probably heard that old
saying expressed in another way. "Getting
there is half the fun."
   But for my grandson and me all the
fun was in getting there.
   "There," in this case, was the 4th floor
of Boscov's in downtown Wilkes-Barre.
And getting there simply involved
riding the escalators!
      These moving stairs are to him as
they were to me when I first saw them
in my hometown as a little kid.
       I was telling him about my
childhood and Christmas long ago when
the subject came up. I told of how I
used to ride the escalator in the old
Leader Department Store to get to
see Santa.
       He offered that he liked escalators
so I offered to take him to one!
        I had to shell out a few quarters
for the parking meter out front but
far fewer than I would have needed
for those small amusement rides at
the Mall. And he had more run between
the top and basement floors, several
times, than he would have had on any
of those rides anyway.
       For him it was pure fun. For me
a bit of nostalgia!
       Hope he remembers the adventure
too and that all of your NEWS is
good!

No comments:

Post a Comment