Saturday, July 2, 2011

"Car Talk"

 I was listening to "Car Talk" as I went
for my walk yesterday. For those
who might not know, the program
features two brothers who try to
diagnose your car problems and
suggest solutions from what you tell
them when you call in.
  The guys usually know what they're
talking about and offer their comments
with a lot of humor.
   What struck me on that particular
program was something they said about
a survey which suggested that only one
in five of us could pass the written
portion of our Driver's Test if we had
to take it again.
   I know what they were talking about!
   Years ago my son actually got his
motorcycle license before getting his
regular driver's license.
   I thought it would be a good idea to
get one too.
   We had a small scooter-like Honda
that could nearly turn on a dime.
    The hardest part of the test, we were
told, was to go through three 'figure 8
turns' without touching your feet to the
pavement.
    I knew the Honda was easy to handle
in turns so I showed up at the State Police
Barracks with the bike and a helmet
ready to take on the course.
   First, however, they put in in front
of some computer to answer a series of
multiple choice questions.
   Now I know you can't park near a fire
hydrant. But it's been a lot of years since
I knew exactly how far away from the
hydrant you have to be. I got that one
wrong. Then I got another one wrong.
   I believe you were allow three
incorrect answers in all.
  It suddenly dawned on me that I might
not only fail to get my motorcycle license,
but could have my regular license taken away!
   Prayer does help! It must because I did
before I answered the rest of the questions
and  got them all right!
  A couple of those answers were
guesses!
    After that the road test was a breeze!
    It seems to me it's the over the road
test that's important. But maybe it should
be more realistic!
    Examiners could watch to see that
applicants are able to spell properly
as they text while driving!
    Dog owners would be expected to
demonstrate their ability to hold their
pet on their lap while steering along
municipal streets. Owners of Saint
Bernards would be given extra
credit!
    One could also get extra points
for handling a hair brush, makeup,
cigarette, and cell phone...switching
from and to each from block to block!
    Applicants might even be asked to
identify the pictures painted on road
signs. It's harder when there are no
words!
    We have one near our home that
shows an arrow pointing Left with a
Red Line through it.
    A lot of drivers don't seem to
know that one.
    I thought about asking local
police to watch the spot so they
could explain the concept of
'No Left Turn' to those who
don't understand the sign.
    I changed my mind when the
last person I saw making the turn
was a police officer driving one
of our Township cruisers!
    I wonder if he can text or knows
how far you have to park from a
fire hydrant?
    Hope you're driving safely and
that all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment