Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Under The Boardwalk

   There's really not a lot to see under
the boardwalk in Wildwood, New
Jersey. A lot of sand and an
occasional quarter that's fallen
through the cracks from someone
walking above or change that's
dropped from the pockets of
those whose vacation relaxation
includes an inverted loop on one
those multi G-force roller coasters!
   Some of the boards provide
cover for parking spots used by
workers from boardwalk shops.
   Most of the action, as you'd
suspect, is above the boards.......
even though it doesn't always seem
to be 'above board' at those games of
chance I've mentioned before!
   In the morning thousands of
visitors ride the boardwalk on
bicycles!
  There are bicycles, tricycles,
and even peddle powered
buggies designed to carry an
entire family.
   You can rent the vehicles
at a host of shops set up just
off the boardwalk and you're
allowed to ride there till 11 am.
    We, like many other
vacationer, carry a load of
bicycles as part of our
luggage for the trip.
   I decided to borrow one to
visit an old friend who works
at the boat launch in North
Wildwood. It's about 6 miles
round trip.
   But this is Wildwood. I mean
it's all level around here. What's
a few miles when there are no
hills?
   Yep. No hills. But have you
ever heard of a "head wind?"
    How I managed to get one in
every direction I rode I'll never
know. But add to that 90%
humidity and temperatures in the
same digits and my 6-mile ride
suddenly began to seem like the
Tour de France!
    Being no Lance Armstrong I
gave some thought to heading
under the boardwalk in a desperate
search for shade and rest.
     In the end though I made my
destination and, after an
extended visit with my friend,
set out for the return journey.
    I'd like to say going back was
easier. But, by then, the hot
breeze had shifted and was,
again, facing me head on!
     A good shower and nice nap
made my day.
     And, I'm proud to say, I was
able to answer the call when my
8-year old grandson asked me if
I'd like to ride around the block with
him that evening.
     I'm thinking of leaving a suggestion
with the Vacation Bureau here. I'd
like to see them set up a bike trail
under the boardwalk. It's really
shady there and, maybe, you can
pick up a quarter here or there!
     Hope your feet are on the
peddles and that all your NEWS is
good!

No comments:

Post a Comment