Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Twist And Shout!

   Once again I've taken a little liberty with the
title of today's Blog. After today's adventure
it should probably be "Twister....and shouts."
   My wife, daughter, and I took our four grand
kids to Knoebels Amusement Park in Elysburg.
   Knoebels has to be one of the best summer
destinations in all of Pennsylvania. There's no
admission charge. Parking is free. You buy
tickets to ride the rides. And those tickets are
good from one year to the next!
    I enjoy the free shows offered at several
venues throughout the park. But I spend most
of my time watching the grand kids enjoying
the amusement rides.
   That 'watching' used to be a lot easier.
    You could  take the kids to the 'Kiddy section'
of the park where they'd climb on board
rides that I probably rode myself a whole
lot of years ago.
    Some of them are classics! The little
fire engines and the whip are good examples.
    The Pioneer Train is another. It's tracks
run a mile and a half through the park.
    Then there's the Grand Carousel! It
was built the year the Titanic sank!
     I might hit the saddle of one of those
hand carved steeds from time to time and
ride with the grand kids.
     But now-a-days they're more likely to
head for something like 'The Twister!"
     It's a 102 foot high roller coaster with
a maximum drop of 90 feet and speeds of
60 miles per  hour.
    I don't ride roller coasters. That
decision dates back to the 1950's when my
Dad and brother talked me into going on
one on the Boardwalk in Wildwood, N.J.
    I was so scared I sat speechless as they
asked if I wanted to ride again. Inside I
yelled..''No, No!"  But they took my
silence for an OK and I suddenly found
myself on the 'terror train' again!
    The grand kids have no such fears.
    They took on the Twister, the
Phoenix, another of Knoebel's famous
coasters, and several other rides designed
to entertain riders by taking them, at high
speeds, to places where they twist, turn, and
are sometimes inverted!
       I watch rather than ride!
       Most of the amusements have a Height
Chart which requires riders to be 48 inches
tall. I explain that, since I exceed that
height, I don't believe I'm allowed to ride!
       But, I can always tell the grand
kids I went higher and faster than anybody
else a Knoebels a few years back.
       I flew overhead in our TV station's
Helicopter after doing a story at the park.
       And I did get a taste of the thrill the
kids enjoy as well! When I told our pilot
I didn't like roller coasters we said he
understood...and promptly did a quick
dive and pull up that would have made the
Twister seem like a Kiddy ride!
         These days I stick with the train,
the Antique cars, and the Grand Carousel!
          I can keep my stomach in place.
         And there's always a chance to get
the Brass Ring!
         Hope you have your tickets ready
and that all your NEWS is good!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment