Friday, July 1, 2011

"Project Runway"

  We didn't have school uniforms when I
went to school. At least we didn't have
any 'official' school uniform.
   The boys usually wore shirts with collars
and nice slacks. The girls all wore
skirts. The closest we came to uniforms
were the blue jeans worn by all the
guys taking Vo/Tech courses.  And you
didn't question anybody from Vo/Tech
about their apparel. Most of them were
like 'The Fonz' before anybody ever
heard of the 'Fonz!'
   These days more and more schools
are adopting school uniforms or, at
least, dress code policies.
   My grand kids go to schools with
rules about dress and, from what I've
seen the students all look pretty
good.
    I think it may be time for the rest
of us to catch up!
   That thought was prompted by
a trip to a local Target department store
the other day.
  My wife called my attention to
a woman about 20 yards away who
had just entered the store with her
small daughter. I wish my wife
hadn't done that!
   This lady, and I use that term
very loosely, was on the heavy
side. In fact she had fallen over
the heavy side into the extremely
large size.
   But it wasn't her weight that
bothered us.
   It was the short shorts she was
almost wearing!
   I don't know if she was a
professional 'mooner' or was walking
in public under the delusion she was
attractive.
  She apparently didn't walk by any
mirrors.
  Add to that, as my friend Donna
reminded me, the gals shopping at
Walmart in their 'jammies!'
   Then there was the clerk at Hershey's
Chocolate World.
   Now this young man WAS in uniform!
   But that uniform was either made for
the woman we saw in Target or
the young man seemed to feel
it necessary to wear his slacks below
his waist.
    He was working the check out line.
    Had anybody bumped his belt
buckle with their pound box of
Hershey Kisses he'd be singing
 'The Great American Chocolate Bar'
as a soprano!
     I used to be bothered by the sight of
women shopping in curlers.
    These days they'd seem almost formal
compared to  the outfits some shoppers
are determined to model for us.
    Maybe we need a 'Dress Code for
Shopper's.'
    Or a lot more mirrors!
    Hope what you're wearing fits and
that all your NEWS is good!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment